The latest SYSTEM-8 Update v1.11 brings the classic JUNO-106 to the Roland SYSTEM-8 Synthesizer. The JUNO-106 PLUG-OUT is a complete ACB reproduction with all of the features of the original - including two Chorus modes that define the 106 sound. The JUNO-106 now joins the iconic JUPITER-8 as a PLUG-OUT for the SYSTEM-8 synthesizer.
In this video, Repair from Toronto, Canada, share their thoughts on the new JUNO-106 PLUG-OUT. Watch the full video, with performance here:
After you install the update you'll notice the following additional functions:
- The JUNO-106 PLUG-OUT is preloaded onto the [PLUG-OUT 2] button.
* To load JUNO-106 tone data, a factory reset after updating is required. Follow the procedure in "Updating the Tone Data" to select the target item for the factory reset ("ALL" or "PLUG-OUT 2") and execute the factory reset.
- An effect setting screen was added to the menu items. Along with this, advanced setting parameters were added for DELAY/CHORUS and REVERB.
- A SYSTEM-1 filter was added to FILTER VARIATION 3.
- A mode for saving the tempo in patches was added ("PATCH TEMPO" in system settings).
If you're a System-1 owner and feeling disgruntled by the lack of a Juno-106 plug-out for your synth... there is an official reason from Roland. Here's what they say:
"Unfortunately the SYSTEM-1 cannot handle the processing required by the current JUNO-106 and JUPITER-8 PLUG-OUTs. The SYSTEM-8 far exceeds the power and functions of the SYSTEM-1 to be able to use polyphonic PLUG-OUTs."
Read our in-depth review of Roland System-8 synthesizer here.
Full details of the changes in System-8 v1.11 update here.
To get your JUNO-106 PLUG-OUT, update your SYSTEM-8 in the Download section of the SYSTEM-8 web page: https://www.roland.com/global/products/system-8/