The Lifeforms Primary Oscillator was designed to stretch the boundaries of pure sonic sculpting and uses unique cascading waveform processing to create increasingly complex, fully modulatable waveforms. Through the use of multiple interwoven waveshapers, a simple waveform can quickly mutate into something deeply dynamic and harmonically rich.
The Primary Oscillator is not meant to be a clean oscillator that produces perfect waveforms. Controlled signal interactions and the unique set of cascading waveshapers at the heart of the Primary Oscillator allow for a uniquely musical approach to experimenting with a wide array of interesting sounds. Instead of relying only on a standard set of simple wave shapes, the Primary Oscillator builds on the basics to offer a powerful palate of infinitely variable waveforms. No other analog oscillator offers such a creative and deep set of audio processing tools.
Primary Oscillator Controls
Based around the custom dual VCA oscillator designed for the Microvolt 3900, the Primary Oscillator takes advantage of calibrated temperature stabilization paired with hard sync and both linear and exponential frequency modulation. The result is a stable saw core oscillator fine tuned for deep sonic exploration.
- Frequency Knob - Frequency control sweeps from LFO through the full audio range.
- Fine Tune Knob - Limited range frequency control.
- FM | CV Button - Switch the destination of the FM input jack between linear FM (on) and exponential CV (off) modulation.
- Harmonic Sine Button - Switch between sine wave (off) and harmonic sine wave (on). Harmonic sine wave adds a minimal number of harmonics to a sine allowing for a new set of timbres to emerge.
- FM | CV Amount Trimmer - FM input attenuator control.
- Pitch Input Jack - 1 volt per octave pitch tracking CV input.
- FM Input Jack - Linear FM or exponential CV input jack.
- Sync Input Jack - Hard sync oscillator reset input jack.
- Sine Wave Output Jack - Sine wave or harmonic sine wave output jack.
- Saw Wave Output Jack - Saw wave output jack.
BLADE WAVE AND PULSE WAVE CONTROL
- Blade Core Wave Source Button - Select the waveform used as the core wave for the blade wave. Triangle (on) or sine (off). If sine is selected, the harmonic sine button affects the blade wave shape.
- Blade|Pulse Width Shape Slider - Manual Blade wave shape and Pulse width control. This slider acts as an offset when modulation is used.
- Blade|Pulse CV Amount Trimmer - Blade wave shape and Pulse width CV input attenuator.
- Blade|Pulse CV Input Jack - Blade wave shape and pulse width CV input jack.
- Blade Wave Output Jack - Blade wave output jack.
- Pulse Wave Output Jack - Pulse wave output jack.
FRAGMENTS WAVE CONTROLS
- Fragments Wave Source Button - Select the waveform used as the core wave for the fragments wave. Triangle (on) or sine (off). If sine is selected, the harmonic sine button affects the fragments wave shape.
- Fragments Density Slider - Manual fragments density control. This slider acts as an offset when modulation is used.
- Fragments CV Amount Trimmer - Fragments wave periodic voltage sample timing CV input attenuator.
- Fragments CV Input Jack - Fragments wave periodic voltage sample timing CV input jack.
- Fragments Wave Output Jack - Fragments wave output jack.
- TIMBRE WAVE CONTROLS
- The timbre section of the Primary Oscillator features a highly tuned, voltage controlled wavefolder used to add odd harmonics to either the sine wave or blade wave. The timbre depth and timbre CV controls set the density and amplitude of the folds. When processing a sine wave, the wavefolder creates a spectral change from zero harmonics to square, with an infinite harmonic series. The effect on the blade wave is complex and uniquely rich.
- Timbre Wave Source Button - Select the waveform used as the core wave for the timbre wave. Blade (on) or sine (off). If blade is selected, all of the modulation and modifications made to the blade wave will cascade into the wavefolder. If sine is selected, the harmonic sine button affects the fragments wave core.
- Timbre Depth Slider - Manual wave folder control. This slider acts as an offset when modulation is used.
- Timbre CV Amount Trimmer - Wavefolder depth CV input attenuator.
- Timbre CV Input Jack - Wavefolder depth CV input jack.
- Timbre Wave Output Jack - Wavefolder output jack.
The Primary Oscillator is available now at a suggested retail price of USD $229
Learn analog synthesis and eurorack in the Ask.Audio Academy: https://ask.audio/academy?nleloc=new-releases