Music machines from smart controllers to synths to pedals are making a big comeback. But it's really the combination of hardware and software that is the biggest talking point of 2015. While some of these tools are powerful, they can also be incredibly complicated, and at the end of the day can take us away from making music. This is what we like about Ostinator for iPad: it's a powerful stereo phrase looper which is incredibly simple to use—and still able to produce the type of wondrous effects you'd expect from a hardware looper.
Additionally, with every function open to being MIDI controllable, you can hook up any iPad compatible MIDI controller (foot or otherwise) and start making short or long layered phrases. It's both musical and fun. Oh, and Ostinator is compatible with Audiobus, Inter-App Audio, AudioCopy and AudioShare, so it'll play nice with your other music studio and performance iPad apps.
We're working on a review as I type. But in the meantime, here's what Living Memory Software tell us about Ostinator:
Glastonbury, UK. 19 November, 2015–Designed in the style of a familiar pedal box for effortless, uncomplicated, no fuss operation, Ostinator is a single track stereo phrase looper focused on hands free control during live performance. Use it to create anything from long loops to short decaying echoes. Crossfading options enable creation of seamless drones and overdubbing offers undoable "sound on sound" layering. All performance controls are available on a single screen but Ostinator’s main strength is painless remote control while it runs in the background.
- AudioBus and Inter-App Audio compatible.
- Supports AudioCopy, AudioShare and “Open In...”
- Audio file import & export via iTunes.
- Hands free operation using a MIDI controller.
- MIDI assignable to every performance parameter.
- Optional, adjustable crossfading for seamless loops.
- Adjustable fade out time when playback stops.
- Adjustable loop feedback for infinite looping or echoes.
- Re-trigger mode, loops can be restarted.
- Prerecorded loops can be loaded with MIDI program change. • Up to 12 minutes of stereo recording time.
- Get up and running quickly with onscreen help.
- Built-in PDF Manual.
App Information: Requires an iPad running iOS 8 or newer. No in-app purchases.
Price: £2.29 GBP
Release date: 19th November 2015
Developer website: www.livingmemorysoftware.com