On the 9th September 2018 Behringer revealed their RD-9 prototype which got synth forums across the internet buzzing in anticipation. They even unveiled the feature set and, as it shares many similarities in design with the RD-8, 808 clone, they have since released, the RD-9 was expected to follow suit fairly soon after. But, we're still eagerly waiting some two years on.
Today, Behringer posted on Facebook addressing both a firmware update for the RD-8 to fix some niggly bugs and progress update and explanation for the delay in bringing the RD-9 to shops and studios.
"RD-8 Bug Fixes / RD-9 Update
We are aware that the RD-8 needs improvement related to MIDI sync. We have decided to rewrite most of the firmware so we can also integrate the unit with the SynthTool and offer other very cool improvements.
As for the RD-9, much of the RD-8 firmware is shared and once the update is completed, we will also be able to ship the RD-9.
We apologize to keep you waiting but we simply don’t compromise on quality.
Thank you for your patience and support!"
While there isn't an estimated release date, many synth enthusiasts are relieved to know that the RD-9 project hasn't been cancelled and is still alive. Far from it, it looks like Behrigner are keen to fix small issues, possibly the MIDI sync issue, with the RD-8 first to ensure the RD-9 is great right out of the box. This does mean more patience is required...
To whet your drum machine lusting apetites a little more, here's a brief feature list overview for the upcoming RD-9 drum machine from Behringer:
- Recreation of one of the most sought after and influential drum machines
- 10 original drum sounds: Bass Drum, Snare Drum, Low Tom, Mid Tom, High Tom, Rim-Shot, Hand-Clap, Cymbal, Open-Hat, Closed-Hat
- Complete control over voice dynamics with per voice accent and flam
- 64-step sequencer with storage of up to 64 patterns and 16 songs with continuously variable swing
- Integrated Wave Designer with individual attack and sustain controls for studio quality drum sound
- Integrated dual mode filter with dedicated frequency and resonance controls for huge sound shaping options
- 10 independent analog outputs to record your patterns as multi-track audio
- Easily readable 7-segment 4-character LED display for tempo with dedicated tap tempo button
- 16 authentic step pads with bold, full-color LEDs
- Up to 99 loop measures of each pattern change with 16 pattern changes per song
- Songs can be chained together for expanded compositions
- Unique Auto Scroll feature for extremely easy operation
- Comprehensive Midi In/Out/Thru and USB implementation for synchronization and connection to external devices
- Per-Track Solo and Mute for enhanced realtime control
- Sync options include USB, MIDI, Clock and Internal
- Powerful headphone and L/R main outputs on 1/4” TRS connectors
- 3-Year Warranty Program
Learn tips & tricks for iconic and popular hardware and software synths: