Berlin based software developers u-he have released Bazille 1.0 for Mac OS X and Window (VST, AU & AAX). Bazille is billed as a digital modular synth - mixing the traditional analogue modular model with some digital enhancements.
At Bazille’s core are four digital oscillators which offer simultaneous frequency modulation (FM) and phase distortion (PD), and well as the less familiar fractal resonance (FR).
Surrounding the oscillators are the usual suspects to help you control and shape your sound: four analogue style filters, two LFOs, four envelope generators and four modelled audio effects.
Two mapping generators, something you certainly wouldn’t find on analogue synths, expand the “digital” capabilities enormously. With up to 128 editable values, the maps are great for waveshaping, for adding per-note irregularities, for custom oscillator waveforms and a whole lot more.
And like all true modular systems, Bazille lets you plug any output into any input for maximum flexibility while creating sounds. Although it can take some time to get comfortable with modular systems such as Bazille, the payoffs are definitely worth it. To help ease you into the world of modular patching, u-he have thoughtfully included over 1700 presets.
U-he have a history of creating software that doesn’t slavishly emulate old machines, but takes the best elements and adds a few novel ideas. Bazille continues this tradition, pushing the concept of what a modular synthesizer should be.
With Bazille you get:
- multichannel MIDI support (for note expression)
- user interface zoom in 10% steps
- 4 digital oscillators with simultaneous FM (frequency modulation), PD (phase distortion) and FR (fractal resonance)
- 4 multimode analogue-type filters with up to 6 parallel outputs each (4 x lowpass, bandpass, highpass)
4 built in effects:
· stereo delay with feedback filters
· tube and transistor style distortion
· two classic phaser models
· realistic spring reverb with shake effect
- 2 LFOs with 3 parallel outputs each
- 4 ADS(S)R type envelope generators
- signal processors: Inverter, rectifier, sample & hold, lag generators and quantizer
- 2 mapping generators (multi-purpose value lists)
- morphing sequencer: 8 slots of up to 16 steps, divisible into smaller units via the 4 taps 2 synchronizable ramp generators
- 4 “multiplex” modules for signal mixing, ring modulation, amplitude modulation etc.
- pink and white noise generator
- comprehensive tuning and portamento controls
- voice stacking, with individual detuning up to +/- 2 octaves
- single-page alternative skin included
- microtuning support (.tun files)
- over 1700 presets