HAMBURG, Germany '" Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH today announced the imminent release of the UR242 4x2 audio interface. Its 192 kHz/24-bit audio quality and DSP power, class compliant support for the iPad and MIDI input/output alongside studio-grade converters and acclaimed discrete Class-A analog D-PRE microphone preamplifiers make this interface unique in its price segment.
The UR242 comes with two combo connectors each boasting premier Class-A D-PRE microphone preamps with +48 V phantom power, peak LEDs, gain controls and dedicated pad buttons for signal attenuation. The additional high-impedance capability on Input 1 is designed for instrument-level signals. A headphones jack with its own volume level control and a master output volume control round out the front panel's many features.
On the backside of the interface we see two TRS line inputs, two analog TRS line outputs and one MIDI input/output, a USB 2.0 port, a power supply connector and power switch.
Its inside values include DSP power for latency-free monitoring by using the REV-X reverb, the Sweet Spot Morphing Channel Strip and the Guitar Amp Classics in Cubase, or any other DAW software through the included dspMixFx application readily available for PC, the Mac computer and iPad. Its loopback capability offers users a simple means to stream performances live to the Internet, merging the incoming signals with the playback signal from the DAW.
Freely available as download to all UR242 customers, Cubase AI provides a comprehensive set of tools for recording, mixing and editing audio. The UR242 is compatible with other major recording software applications, supports the iPad in class-compliant mode and includes drivers for Windows and OS X systems. Also available for UR242 customers is the Basic FX Suite that consists of VST effects and sound-processing tools: the Sweet Spot Morphing Channel Strip, the REV-X reverb and Guitar Amp Classics with guitar amp simulations developed by Yamaha.
'We realized that there was a clear demand for a four-channel interface with DSP-powered, latency-free effects, CC mode and MIDI,' said Steinberg's product marketing manager for hardware, Stefan Schreiber. 'And the UR242 clearly bridges this gap in our extensive range of premium-built, premium-sounding, premium-pretty-much-everything UR series of audio interfaces.'
Availability and pricing
Shipping in March, the UR242 audio interface will globally be available from resellers and through the Steinberg Online Shop within the month. The suggested retail price for the UR242 is $249.99.
- 24-bit/192 kHz USB 2.0 audio interface
- 2 Class-A D-PRE mic preamps supporting +48 V phantom power
- 2 combo inputs with PAD (Hi-Z switch on input 1), 2 TRS line inputs, 2 TRS line outputs and headphones jack with independent level control
- Latency-free DSP powered monitoring with REV-X reverb, Channel Strip and Guitar Amp Classics (VST 3 plug-in version also included)
- dspMixFx editor application for Windows, OS X and iPad
- MIDI input and output
- Rugged full-metal housing
- Loopback function for streaming performances live to the Internet
- Includes Cubase AI DAW software download version
- Cross-platform compatibility for Windows, OS X and iPad (with Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit/ Lightening to USB Camera Adapter)
Web: http://www.steinberg.net/ur242 for details on the UR242 audio interface