Amongst the weird and wonderful machines which emanate blips, blops and beeps, we rediscovered LeafAudio's Microphonic Soundbox.
Let's get to the point right away... Just because it looks like it couldn be... it's NOT a theremin! The Microphonic Soundbox mk2 is an acoustic wooden experimental instrument that is an ideal weapon of choice for sound designers and those wishing to get more hands on with their instrument, often utilising different objects to encourage and coax interesting sounds from the instrument.
Combined with a multi effects app and looper, like the one you can see in running on iPad in the video above, Sounbox mk2 is an incredibly flexible and satisfying playground for sound designers.
Facts and news on the mk2 version:
- The amplifier circuitry in mk2 has even better audio quality and extended frequency range now.
- Soundbox mk2 is a super low noise and top quality amp for any kind of contact mics!
- The power supply unit has a new battery management circuit and switches the LED from blue to red when battery goes under 7 volt (still hours left then).
- The Kalimba features now 5 strips and is mounted on a universal threaded M3 strip, so it can be exchanged against whatever you want, using standard M3 screws.
- On the left side we have integrated a threaded M3 strip over the whole length and we include an additional wood piece, which allows to mount a big range of sound-generating objects plus 2 additional thumb screws M3x12mm.
- Mk2 has two outputs now: one mixes both amp-channels together, if the other one is used additionally, channels are sent to the outs separately.
- The Soundbox is now a hub for external contact mics: By the two outs you are able to use the external input on a separate out and can still play the Soundbox via the other channel.
- The output stage features an attenuator now, which makes it possible to use the Soundbox with more sensitive audio interfaces and consumer equipment. We also sell that cables here separately.
- An add-on package with more springs etc. is now available additionally. It features 2 compression springs, 1 clockwork spring, 5 wobbly tension springs (pulling them is great), 1 carbon strip, 2 thumb-screws and washers, 2 small magnets, ~0,6m spring steel wire (cut yourself).