Roland Announces DJ-505 & DJ-202 DJ Controllers With TR-808 & 909 Drum Kits
Following on from the success of the DJ-808 Serato DJ controller, Roland have introduced the DJ-505 and DJ-202, both with classic 808 and 909 drum machine sounds and pads. Here's what you need to know
Los Angeles, CA, August 14, 2017 — Roland announces the DJ-505 and DJ-202, two new DJ controllers for Serato DJ. Equipped with features derived from the popular DJ-808 DJ Controller, the DJ-505 (aprox. $699 USD) and DJ-202 (aprox. $299 USD) both offer onboard Roland TR drum sounds, dual low-latency platters, Serato DJ integration, vocal FX, and more. With the newly expanded DJ-series lineup, DJs and music producers can now choose from three Roland DJ controller models to suit the needs of different setups.
Released to wide acclaim in 2016, the DJ-808 DJ Controller is a state-of-the-art creative tool with a four-channel mixer, built-in drum sequencing, vocal processing, and the deepest Serato DJ integration available. Like the flagship model, the streamlined DJ-505 and compact DJ-202 are inspiring instruments with impressive flexibility to DJ, remix, and produce, empowering exciting new approaches to music performance.
The DJ-505 is a two-channel, four-deck Serato DJ controller that comes with the complete Serato Tool Kit. With its portable design, pro-grade build, and advanced feature set, the DJ-505 is ideal for mobile applications, club DJing, live performance, and music production.
Two large, low-latency platters on the DJ-505 provide responsive, lag-free performance for turntable-style scratches, while eight pads with 13 modes offer dedicated controls for Serato DJ. Also included are built-in drum kits from Roland’s classic TR-808 and TR-909 drum machines; each kit contains eight sounds that can be played on the performance pads and triggered from the onboard TR-S sequencer. The sequencer has a dedicated TR-style interface, and TR drum sounds and Serato samples can be adjusted in real time using panel knobs. The DJ-505’s mixer is Serato DVS Upgrade Ready, and can be used standalone with multi-players or turntables connected to the line and phono inputs.
DJ-505 Main Features
- Two channels and Deck Select for up to four decks
- Large, low-latency platters optimized for scratching
- Eight dedicated pad controls for Serato DJ with Hot Cue, Roll, Slicer, TR, Pattern, and Sampler modes
- Built-in, fully editable drum kits from Roland’s legendary TR-808, TR-909, TR-606*, and TR-707*, realized with advanced ACB (Analog Circuit Behavior) technology
- TR kits contain eight sounds–Bass Drum, Snare Drum, Closed Hat, Open Hat, Tom, Rim, Clap, and Ride–that can be played on the performance pads and triggered from the sequencer
- Shape TR drum sounds and Serato samples in real time with Level, Attack, Decay, and Tune knobs
- Classic 16-step sequencer that can trigger either TR drum sounds or the Serato Sampler; new features include nudge (TR-S), step-roll, and instrument/sample mute
- Unlocks Serato DJ and comes with a Serato Tool Kit license (includes Serato Pitch ‘n Time DJ, Serato Flip, and all Serato DJ FX packs)
- Mixer can be used standalone via connection of multi-players or turntables to the line and phono inputs; Serato DVS Upgrade Ready
- Balanced XLR outputs let you connect to a professional PA system; Booth Out plus separate 1/4-inch and 1/8-inch Phones outputs allow you to monitor your mixes
- Mic input with gate, hi-pass, reverb, and echo FX
- MIDI output to sync external devices with Serato DJ and the TR-S sequencer
The DJ-202 is a forward-thinking Serato DJ Intro controller that gives DJs the features and layout of a full-size pro controller in a rugged mobile unit. Its lightweight design and easy-grab handles provide convenient portability for all types of events, including house parties, club rocking, beat battles, and more.
Like the DJ-505, the DJ-202 includes two low-latency platters, a built-in drum machine with TR-808 and TR-909 sounds, and eight dedicated pads. A 16-step sequencer accessible via the performance pads controls Serato DJ Intro’s sampler for on-the-fly beat creation.
DJ-202 Main Features
- Two-channel, four-deck controller for Serato Intro
- Large platters with the lowest available latency, optimized for scratching
- Built-in drum kits from Roland’s legendary TR-808, TR-909, TR-606*, and TR-707*, realized with advanced ACB (Analog Circuit Behavior) technology
- Eight sounds in each TR kit: Bass Drum, Snare Drum, Closed Hat, Open Hat, Tom, Rim, Clap, and Ride
- Onboard sequencer that controls Serato DJ Intro’s sampler for on-the-fly beat creation
- Independent sampler volume control
- Eight dedicated pads with Hot Cue, Loop, Sequencer, and Sampler modes for controlling Serato DJ Intro or Serato DJ software
- MIDI output for synchronizing external devices with tracks in Serato DJ Intro
- Mic input with gate, hi-pass, reverb, and echo FX
- 24-bit/48 kHz audio fidelity with high-resolution digital-to-analog converters
- Compact, rugged, and lightweight design with easy-grab handles for optimal portability
- Connect straight to your speakers or amplifier via RCA stereo outputs
- USB powered for simple connectivity
- Serato DJ Intro included; Serato DJ Upgrade Ready
- Use Serato DJ Intro to organize and build music libraries or integrate songs from iTunes—just drag a track to the deck, set and trigger cues, loops, and samples, and apply basic FX
Both the DJ-505 and DJ-202 function as USB audio/MIDI interfaces with 24-bit/48 kHz fidelity and high-resolution digital-to-analog converters. Each model also includes a MIDI output for controlling and syncing external devices, and a 1/4-inch mic input with gate, hi-pass, reverb, and echo FX.
To learn more about the DJ-505 and DJ-202 DJ Controllers, visit Roland.com