We loved the original PatchBlocks when we reveiwed them back in August 2015, finding them to be "hardware devices that can literally be almost anything you want in terms of effects, audio playback, synthesizer, clock unit, or other. And, they link together!" Read the full review here.
Here’s what Maker.ie tell us (and show us) about the new eurorack PatchBlock synth modules they've made:
Maker.ie are delighted and humbled to have been working with Patchblocks over the last few months to develop a Eurorack modular synth version of Patchblocks, the programmable mini synth originally produced by patchblocks.com.
Patchblocks allows the user to program and customise how the module behaves; it can be an audio oscillator, sequencer, drum machine, effects unit - the limit is your imagination.
THE PATCHBLOCKS PROGRAMMING ENVIRONMENT
Programming the module is achieved by using the Patchblocks super intuitive graphical programming environment that requires no actual coding. There are already dozens of Patches designed by users over at the Patchblocks community. Patches can be uploaded to Patchblocks hardware devices and used for live performance or in a studio environment.
Users with coding chops can also put their skills into action by developing Blocks of code that can be shared with the Patchblocks community and included in Patches.
- Module Size - 8HP, depth 30mm (skiff friendly)
- The module requires 50mA of +12v, 25mA of -12v and 30mA of +5v to operate, and is normally powered from a Eurorack power supply distribution bus.
- Audio I/O - Left and Right channel analogue audio inputs and outputs, voltage range -10V to +10V.
- Gate / Trigger Inputs - for the Left and Right switches, voltage range 0-+5V, overvoltage protected.
- Control Voltage Inputs - for the Left and Right knobs/pots, voltage range -2.5V to +2.5V. When a CV signal is present the knob/pot acts as an attenuator/level control, when no CV signal is present the knob performs the function assigned in the Patch.
- Digital Audio and mid/serial data I/O - Using a 5pin IDC connector and ribbon cable connected on the back of the module, Left and Right channel digital audio and midi data (TX/RX) can be sent between modules, or to/from a desktop Patchblocks device.
- USB - USB type B connector accessible at the front of the module, ESD and overvoltage protected.
[Via Patchblocks FB page: https://www.facebook.com/patchblocks/?fref=ts]
Maker.ie Web: http://www.maker.ie/patchblocks.html