One of the most popular pre-NAMM 2018 announcements came from an unexpected, and previously unknown, company. Playtime Engineering are the folks behind the awesome Blipblox hardware synthesizer for kids.
It looks like a Fisher Price, "my first synth', but there's a very capable synthesis engine insidethat we suspect will appeal to quite a number of adults as well as children.
We caught up with the creator of Blipblox at NAMM 2018 to understand more about this new synth:
Blipblox is a synthesizer and beatbox designed to promote creativity and audio exploration. Its unique physical design is easy-to-use and safe for children as young as 3 years old. Its professional features and nearly endless ability to create new sounds make it fun and captivating for everyone!
Kid-friendly & kid-safe
- Colorful knobs & buttons are easy for little hands to twist & press.
- Multi-color LED light show is synchronized to the music.
- Durable plastic design is drop & splash resistant.
- Algorithm & system flow learning provides STEM experience beyond music play.
- "Active capture" knobs & buttons so little hands can't remove them.
- Powered by batteries or AC adapter.
- MIDI input for an external keyboard or sequencer controller.
- Eight unique oscillator modulation schemes.
- One Low Pass Filter.
- Two Envelope Generators.
- Two LFOs.
- 3-in/3-out modulation matrix.
- Performance Mode optimizes device display for music production.
- Audio Output jack.
Synthesis for all
- No music experience needed! Have fun just exploring the new sounds, or dig deeper to learn the signal path and master the synthesis engine.
- Built-in sequencer comes loaded with hundreds of unique melodies to explore.
- Integrated drum machine.
- All of the fun of sound synthesis in a simplified, low-cost device.
Read more about Blipblox here: https://ask.audio/articles/blipblox-is-a-playful-but-powerful-synthesizer-toy-for-kids