The Neumann U87 is one of the most sought after mics in the recording world but it carries a price tag to match its fame. Warm Audio has used it as the inspiration for its new WA-87 condenser mic, with a cinematic transfomer and custom capsule and despite only being on the market for a month, it's proving amazingly popular. At a price point of $599 with included shock mount and wooden carrying case it's not hard to see why!
Warm Audio WA-87 Specifications
- Microphone Type: large condenser studio microphone.
- Based on the classic “87-style” circuit.
- Microphone includes shock mount, hard mount and wood box.
- Polar Patterns: Cardioid, figure of eight, and omnidirectional.
- Capsule: Lens Kondensator LK-87-B-50V reproduction of classic dual backplate (four wire termination) K87 capsule.
- Diaphragm: 6 micron thickness, 1 inch diameter, gold sputtered membrane, NOS Japanese mylar (PET film).
- Output Transformer: CineMag USA.
- Frequency Response: 20hz - 20khz.
- SPL: .5% THD @ 125db (without pad),132db (with pad).
- Pad: -10db.
- Output: 150 ohms, 24k gold plated, 3 pin XLR (pin 1 = gnd, pin 2 = +, pin 3 = -), transformer coupled via Cinemag USA output transformer.
- High Pass Filter: 80hz.
- Noise: -117db.
- Color: nickel (painted).
The WA-87 is available now for $599. Read more about it here.