Less is more: addition by subtraction is the name of the game. Created by Ableton Certified Trainer Noah Pred, this generative MIDI performance effect is designed to mute steps of incoming MIDI drums, melodies, and harmonies to create variations, build tension, or experiment with different expressions of rhythmic and musical phrases. You can do this manually for full control - or just enable Auto Dice to let the good times roll.
Optimized for Push with full automation labels and integrated Info View annotation, Subtraction Engine is ready for high-level play straight away. Experiment, have fun - and capture your results to new MIDI or audio clips by recording them to other tracks in Live.
How is Subtraction Engine's functionality different from Live 11's built-in note probability?
- New step on/off states can be generated automatically at specified intervals, for example creating a new variation on a pattern every 2 bars, 4 bars, etc.
- Chords can be toggled on/off as a single unit, whereas Live's probability treats all notes individually
- Shorter on/off cycles layered with longer MIDI clips easily create dynamic polymetric patterns
- Parameters are available for automation and MIDI or key mapping
- All steps can be toggled on, off, or inverted easily
- Works with Live 10 Suite