Focusrite is proud to announce the launch of Red 4Pre – the pinnacle of Focusrite’s interface range. The 58-in/64-out Red 4Pre combines four of Focusrite’s specially-developed digitally-controlled mic preamps, plus high-headroom instrument inputs, with dual Thunderbolt™ 2, dual Pro Tools | HD DigiLink™ and Dante™ network audio connectivity. Featuring Focusrite's most advanced low-noise conversion and beautiful yet robust design, the Red 4Pre interface is the perfect balance of form and function, delivering the sound quality and versatility engineers and producers around the world expect from Focusrite.
Air-Enabled Mic Pres
Four of Focusrite's new, specially-developed 'Red Evolution' preamps lie at the heart of the Red 4Pre, featuring clear, honest audio performance with –129 dB EIN and 63dB of gain. Software control allows recall of settings and stereo linking, plus configuration of HPF, polarity invert and individual phantom power. The preamps include Focusrite's unique ‘Air’ effect, recreating in the analogue domain the sound of the transformer-based mic preamps in the classic ISA range - ideal for bringing out the breathy quality of a vocal or adding presence to an acoustic guitar. Red 4Pre also includes high-headroom instrument inputs, instantly accessible from the front panel.
Our Best Conversion
The Red 4Pre's new high-performance conversion system features 'parallel path summing', where two matched converters are run in parallel to increase the signal to noise ratio. They operate at up to 24-bit, 192 kHz sampling - ideal for high-resolution audio - with a dynamic range of 118dB(A-D)/121dB (D-A). The Red 4Pre delivers ≤0.0009% THD+Noise and a frequency response flat from 20Hz to 35kHz ±0.25 dB or better.
The Red 4Pre delivers exceptional connectivity. Dual Thunderbolt 2 ports connect to any DAW while allowing daisy-chaining of drives and displays. Our lowest round-trip latency permits recording with preferred plug-ins in real-time and simplifies workflow, while dual DigiLink ports connect the Red 4Pre directly to any Pro Tools | HD system. In addition, Red 4Pre features built-in Dante network audio connectivity: use the dual Ethernet ports to connect any Dante-compatible product such as units from Focusrite's own RedNet range, adding up to 64 channels via Ethernet exactly where they're needed - wherever there's an Ethernet network - with low latency and lower cost.
- The pinnacle of our interface design – Red 4Pre is our best interface yet. Our cleanest mic preamps, best-sounding converters and a build quality that harks back to the original Red series.
- Our best conversion performance – 'Parallel path' dual converter configuration offering the optimal combination of sound quality, noise floor, dynamic range and conversion latency. Work at up to 24-bit/192kHz – perfect for high-resolution audio – with 118dB (A-D) /121dB (D-A) dynamic range. ≤0.0009% THD+Noise and a frequency response flat from 20Hz to 35kHz ±0.25 dB or better.
- Dual Thunderbolt™ 2 ports for daisy-chaining – Connect to a DAW with our lowest round-trip latency whilst simultaneously connecting Thunderbolt devices such as hard drives and displays.
- Direct Pro Tools connection – Dual DigiLink™ connectivity with Pro Tools | HD systems and existing Avid® interfaces.
- Dante Network Audio enabled – Dual Ethernet ports for Dante™ audio-over-IP networking. Add up to 64 Dante channels via Ethernet anywhere on the network, with low latency and lower cost.
- Four 'Red Evolution' Air-enabled mic pres – Up to 63dB of ultra-clean gain, -129dB EIN and individual phantom power, setting recall, stereo linking, HPF and polarity invert, plus Air mode, for an analogue emulation of our heritage ISA preamp characteristics.
- Our lowest round-trip latency – Track with preferred plug-ins and record virtual instruments in real time. Simplify studio workflow: run a single mix for both overdubbing and mixing, with plug-ins in place, all the time.
- Expansion done right - add up to 64 extra channels of Dante interfaces to the Red 4Pre - wherever there's an Ethernet connection, over a greater distance, with low latency and at lower cost, without wasting money on unused hardware.
- Front-panel instrument inputs – Provide easy access to high-headroom instrument connections even when rack-mounted.
- Software Included – Every Red 4Pre includes Focusrite Control software, allowing mic preamp control and the quick and intuitive set-up of mixes and monitors; the Red plug-in suite; and Softube's Time and Tone bundle.
Red 4Pre will be available in stores mid-April with the following pricing (including VAT): £2099.99 // $2499.99 // €2699.99