There's an insatiable appetite out there for hardware synths and samplers, and the more compact and affordable they are, the better. So today, some good news on this front! The latest release from Twisted Electrons is Deton8, a hybrid sampler/drum synthesizer that uses a mix of crunchy 8-BIT samples and wavetable synthesis as well as a plethora of real time FX and other tricks to make beats. Hand-assembled to order in the south of France, they will be available in April and cost 255 Eur ex.VAT.
- Hardware MIDI
- SYNC IN
- SYNC OUT
- 16 patterns of 1-16 steps each
- Chain up to 16 patterns in a row to make a song
- 8 Voices (Kick, Snare, Metal (hats), Clap, Can (tinny sounds), Tom, Nut (woody sounds), SYNTH (NES inspired triangle wavetable synthesizer, with arp that can be shaped to a square).
- Two modes: Loop Mode (for breaks and melodic content, decay and tune is global) & Kit mode (individual tuning and decay per part)
- Pitch and decay modulation per step on every voice
- 8 hands on Stutter modes: Beat repeat (with variable rate), Forward granular, Reverse granular, Pendulum granular (scratch), buzz/texture , random granular (noise generation), spin up, spin down
- Forward & Reverse sample playback per track
- Delay with variable delay time and pitch decay (upwards and downwards)
- Ring mod effect with variable frequency
- Global pitch shift
- Copy/Paste patterns
- Real time pattern recording with optional metronome
- Tap tempo
- Mute/Solo a track
- Drive any voice into distortion
- Sound variation knob for Kick (add sub), Snare (add noise/snappy), Hats (change texture) and Synth (arpeggiate)
- Pump aka sidechain compression emulation (any track can “duck” the others for the pumping/breathing effect)
- Pattern clean and randomize for accidental magical beats
Deton8 includes the following kits, but you’ll be able to upload your own samples!
- DETON8 default (big beats, break)
- AMY SISTER (jungle break)
- HIP08 (for all your 808 hiphop needs)
- TEK09 (Rave on)
- MINTY POPS (Classic beats)
- INDUSTRIAL (exclusive kit by our dear friend NKDM)
The company is also developing a software sample editor and uploader app as a companion to make managing your sounds easier. We are really looking forward to getting our hands on one of these and having a play. Let us know your thoughts on it in the comments!